X. Committee on the Welfare of SC,ST and [Bc]
266. Constitution of the Committee. –
(1) There shall be a committee on the Welfare of Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and 10[Backward Classes] consisting of not more than nine members who shall be elected by the House every year from amongst its members according to the principal of proportional representation by means of the single transferable vote.
(2) A Minister shall not be eligible for election as a member of the Committee and that if a member, after his election to the Committee, is appointed a Minister he shall cease to be member thereof from the date of such appointment.
(3) The term of office of members of the Committee shall not exceed one year.
267. Functions of the Committee. –
The functions of the Committee shall be-
(a) to consider and examine the recommendations contained in the reports of the Commissioner for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and 10[Backward Classes], Government of India, in so far the purview of the State Government and to report to the House as to the measures that should be taken by the State Government;
(b) to report to the House on the action taken by the Government on the measures proposed by the Committee;
(c) to examine the measures taken by the Government to secure due representation of the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and 11[Backward Classes] in services and posts under its control (including appointments in the Public Sector Undertakings, Statutory and Semi Government Bodies) having regard to the provisions of Article 335 of the Constitution;
(d) to report to the House on the working of the welfare programmes for the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes and 12[Backward Classes]; and
(e) to examine such other matters as may seem fit to the Committee or are specifically referred to it by the House or the Speaker.