V. Committee on Government Assurances
243. Functions of the Committee.
– There shall be a Committee on Government Assurances to scrutinize the assurances, promises and under takings etc., given by Ministers, from time to time, on the floor of the Assembly and to report on—
(a) the number and kind of assurances given and the names of the Ministers and the Departments to which they relate;
(b) the extent to which such assurances have been implemented; and
(c) where implemented whether such implementation has taken place within the minimum time necessary for the purpose.
244. Constitution of the Committee. –
(1) The Committee shall consist of not more than nine members who shall be nominated by the Speaker.
(2) The term of office of the members of the committee shall be one year.
(3) The Speaker may, if he thinks fit, discharge a member from the Committee, if such member is absent from two or more consecutive meetings thereof, without the permission of the Chairperson of the Committee.
(4) Casual vacancies in the Committee shall be filled by the Speaker and any member nominated to fill such vacancy shall hold office for the period for which the member in whose place he is nominated would under the provisions of sub-rule (2) have held office.
245. Chairperson of the Committee.
– (1) The Chairperson of the committee shall be appointed by the Speaker from amongst the members of the Committee :
Provided that if the Deputy Speaker is a member of the Committee, he shall be appointed Chairperson of the Committee.
(2) If the Chairperson of the Committee is for any reason unable to act, the Speaker may similarly appoint another Chairperson of the Committee in his place.
(3) If the Chairperson of the Committee is absent from any meeting, the Committee shall choose another member to act as Chairperson of the Committee for that meeting.
246. Quorum. –
(1) In order to constitute a meeting of the Committee the quorum shall be three.
(2) In the case of an equality of votes on any matter, the Chairperson of the Committee shall have a second or casting vote.
247. Presentation of Report. – The report of the Committee shall be presented to the Assembly either by the Chairperson or on his behalf by any member of the Committee.