IV. Rules Committee
239. Functions of Rules Committee.
– There shall be a Committee on Rules to consider matters of procedure and conduct of business in the House and to recommend any amendments or additions to these rules that may be deemed necessary.
240. Constitution of Committee.
– The Committee on Rules shall be nominated by the Speaker and shall consist of not more than eight members including the Speaker who shall be its ex-officio Chairperson.
241. Term of Office of Committee.
– The Committee shall hold office for such period as the Speaker may specify or until a new Committee is nominated.
242. Laying of Report on the Table. –
(1) The recommendations of the Committee shall be laid on the Table and within a period of three days beginning with the day on which they are so laid, any member may give notice of any amendment to such recommendations.
(2) Any notice given by a member of any amendment to the recommendations of the Committee shall stand referred to the Committee which shall consider it and make such changes in their recommendations as it may consider fit. The final report of the Committee after taking into consideration the amendments suggested by the members shall be laid on the Table. Thereafter on the House agreeing to the report on a motion made by a member of the Committee, the amendments to the rules as approved by the House, shall be notified under orders of the Speaker in the Gazette.
(3) If notice of such amendment has not been given within three days, the recommendations of the Committee shall be deemed to have been approved by the House and on the expiry of the said period the amendments to the rules as recommended by the Committee shall be notified under orders of the Speaker in the Gazette.
(4) The amendments to the rules shall come into force on their publication in the Gazette unless otherwise specified.